Saturday, January 3, 2015

Kadhi Pakora's

Kadhi is something I was afraid to try at first. As an American I've only ever known yogurt to be eaten cold, never as something close to . . . soup! The first time I made this I wasn't too pleased. It was thick, and weird to me. Alas, my boyfriend liked it and asked me to make it again. Each time after that I've made it I've altered it some way or another and I finally have it to my liking, and he loves it too! So this is my recipe for Kadhi and I will also show you my recipe for pakora's. Pakora's are the best part (it's fried, so duh!).




Ingredients: 
Kadhi

  • 3 c. plain yogurt (preferably sour)
  • 1/2 c. besan, or gram flour
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. red chili powder
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 6-8 curry leaves
  • 5-6 heads of garlic, peeled and grated
  • about 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
  • 2 chopped green chili's
  • water
  • salt
  • 2 tbsp oil
For the Pakora's
  • 1 c. besan
  • 4-5 heads of garlic, peeled and grated
  • about 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
  • 2 chopped green chili's
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small potato, finely cubed
  • water
  • 1-2 c. oil
Directions: Kadhi

1. First you're going to put the yogurt into a large bowl and mix until smooth. Add the besan, chili powder, and tumeric. Mix well and then add about 1 cup of water. Set aside

2. In a heavy bottomed pot (I like to use my pressure cooker), heat oil. Once oil is hot add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and coriander. Once the seeds start to pop add ginger, garlic, green chili's, and curry leaves. Allow these to cook for about a minute. Then add onion.
3. Once onions are cooked add the yogurt mixture to the pot and give it a good stir. Set your stove to about medium. You want the mixture to bubble a little, but don't let it burn! Allow mixture to cook for 30 minutes. 
If you notice from the first photo, the yogurt mixture will be a pale color. Once it starts cooking it will turn a beautiful deep yellow color. It will also thicken as it cools. You want it to have a smooth consistency. Not too thick, not too thin, but more towards the thin side. Add water accordingly and to your preference. This part took me the longest to figure out. Lastly, add salt to taste.

Directions: Pakora

1. Place besan, garam masala, red chili powder, ginger, garlic, and green chili's in a large bowl. The amount of water you need to add will vary each time. You're basically making a batter. Think somewhat of a pancake batter, only a little thicker. Once everything is mixed together, add the onions and potato, mix well. It should look something similar to this:
2. Next, use a pan with high sides and add about 1-2 inches of oil. Let this heat up nice and good. You can test it by dropping a tiny bit of batter. If it sizzles, you're good to go. Once ready, drop small spoon fulls of the batter into the hot oil. I like to use a cookie dough scoop, but you could even use your hands if that's how you see fit. 
3. Let your pakora's fry until both sides are a nice golden color, and let as much of the grease drain by placing them on a plate with paper towels.


Now you're ready to assemble! Every time I make this we eat it with chawal ( basmati rice).



I hope you enjoy! If you try and make this please let me know how it turned out!


No comments:

Post a Comment