Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Roti

Roti is an Indian flatbread that is eaten with almost every meal. Contrary to what might be popular belief, that awesome, yummy naan you get at Indian restaurants aren't typically made at home (at least, according to my boyfriend!). Instead, they have roti every day to go with their meals.

I probably make roti 3-4 times a week. The only time I don't is if we're eating a meal that includes rice, like Rajma or Kadhi. My boyfriend says his mother makes roti everyday, lunch and dinner. I'm still learning to make this perfectly. Most of the time I struggle just to roll them into a decent looking circle. Raj's mother is amazing. She can roll on out into a perfect circle without even having to lift the rolling pin. It's very cool to watch, and there are several youtube tutorials that show you how. Maybe one day I'll perfect my rolling technique!

Anyway, let me show you how I make roti!



Ingredients: This will make 6 roti

  • 1 c. Chapatti flour (and a little extra for coating)
  • Water (varies)


Yes, two ingredients, seriously that's all! Chapatti flour you can find at your local Indian grocery store. If you don't have one of those nearby, you can use all wheat flour that you find at kroger. When I first started making these, I did use that kind of flour. It's not exactly the same, but it works!

Tools:

  • tawa, or a large skillet
  • rolling pin
  • chakla, or counter space will work!

  • A tawa is simply like a large flat skillet that is used for frying roti. Before I had this I used a large skillet and it worked just fine!
  • A chakla is just a raised wooden board that helps you roll your roti. I went a long time without one of these and I was able to do it fine just on the counter.



Directions:

1. First you want to add your flour to a good size bowl. Add some water and start kneading it with your hand. Slowly keep adding water and kneading until a dough starts to form.


It doesn't matter whether you add warm or cold water, but warm water does make it a little easier to knead.

2. You want to end up with a dough that easily forms into a ball and isn't sticky. If you've added too much water and it is sticky, just add flour until you get it right.


3. Take this ball of dough and separate it into six balls that are roughly the same size (think golfball). I usually roll the dough in my hands to form a snake, this makes it easier to break into smaller pieces evenly.


4. Now you are ready to start rolling! Take one of your dough balls and dip it in some excess flour to coat. 


5. Work on rolling this out into a thin, flat disk. You want to try and make it as round as you can (I still haven't mastered this all the way!). You might find that you need to dip it in flour again if it starts sticking to your rolling pin and that's perfectly fine.


See how mine is far from perfect! No problem. You just want to make sure it's pretty thin.


6. Heat your tawa or skillet on medium high heat. Add your roti and only leave it for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds flip it over. Let this side cook until it starts to bubble a little, or you start seeing brown spots on the underside.



7. Now flip it back on the side you originally laid down for 10 seconds, and gently press on it with a clean kitchen rag (something thin). Now hopefully yours turned out right and when you press on it, it should puff up!



8. Let this side cook for a few seconds or until the bottom starts to look like this . . .


And there you have it! Warm, delicious roti ready to be eaten with your meal. My boyfriend loves to have his buttered, but that's optional.



Hope you enjoy! If you tried to make this recipe please let me know how it turned out!


No comments:

Post a Comment