Thursday, February 19, 2015

Dahi (yogurt)

When I first learned you could make yogurt at home I was mind-blown. I was even more mind-blown when I realized how ridiculously easy it is! While I am still learning to like this plain yogurt (I'm so addicted to my favored Chobani yogurt!) Raj loves it!



Ingredients:


  • 1/2 gallon whole milk*
  • 1/4 c. plain yogurt
It's very important that you use whole fat milk for this recipe. I've never tried using anything like 2%, but from what I've heard you shouldn't.

Directions:

1. Pour milk into a heavy bottom pot. 


2. Bring milk to a boil on medium heat. Stir it every so often. Be careful not to scald the milk, or let it boil for to long! As soon as it starts boiling and a foam appears, take it off the heat. 


3. Keeping the milk in the same pot, let it cool down until it is warm. This is very important, you don't want it to be too hot when you add the yogurt. 

4. Add the 1/4 c yogurt, and just stir until it's mixed. You may have to use store bought yogurt for the first time to get this started, but once you've made your own yogurt you can just use the last bit that's left to make a new batch!

5. Now all you have to do is wait. You want to store the yogurt some place warm. When it's really cold outside, I may set my oven to "warm" or the lowest setting and turn it off once your milk starts to boil. You want to store your yogurt somewhere warm.

6. Check your yogurt after about four hours, if it is solid, place it in the fridge until cold. If it's still liquid, just place it back in it's warm place (sometimes this process can take me up to eight hours).

I should have snapped a photo before digging in!

There you have it! Yogurt! The liquid is normal, don't mind it. I'm not sure if it's alright to drain it, but Raj likes for me to leave it in. 

You can leave it plain, which goes very well with Indian food, or you can even add flavor! I bet it would be good with a blueberry compote mixed in, or fresh fruit!

Enjoy =)

2 comments:

  1. The water in it is whey--think whey protein. It'll keep the yogurt more moist (and if you have a big tub of yogurt you'll notice some whey rise to the top after a few days without stirring). There's no harm in it either way, from what I've always understood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right, I've always noticed it in the store bought yogurt also!

      Delete