Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Paneer

I felt that it was necessary to make a post dedicated to paneer, as I know a lot of people may not know what this is, American's especially.

Paneer is a type of Indian cheese and we actually use it quite frequently in our home. Rather than explaining what it is in every recipe that requires it, I'll just have this as a reference!

Raj once explained paneer to me the first time I had it. My first ever Indian food experience was at a restaurant called the Taj Mahal (so cliche!). He ordered our food for us since I had NO idea what any thing was. He ordered us paneer as the appetizer. He said to think of cottage cheese, the curds to be more exact. So I'm here imagining cold cottage cheese and then the waiter comes out with big cubes of this fried . . . stuff.

I won't lie. I wasn't a fan at first, it was too weird for me, but now I looooove paneer!

We usually purchase it from our local Indian grocer, however I've found it at our international market so you may have to look around to find it. I like to buy it frozen, but I've seen it in the refrigerator section also. You could also try and make your own!


No comments:

Post a Comment