Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Capsicum Paneer

I had been meaning to post this recipe for a long time. Whenever I'd make it, I'd either forget to take photo's or forget halfway through. Well, today I got everything I need! Finally!

This dish is ideal for a day where you might be craving a "light" meal. I always service it with dal and roti. I'm starting to crave it just thinking about it!

Let's get started!




Ingredients:
  • Capsicum (bell pepper); Red, green, yellow, one of each
  • 2-3 roma tomatoes, pureed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2-3 tsp coriander powder
  • 2-3 tsp cumin powder
  • 2-3 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • Salt, to taste
  • About 1 c. paneer, cubed (learn more about paneer here)
  • 1 tbsp oil

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a pan. Once it's hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once those start popping add the chopped onion.


2. While the onions are cooking, wash and cut your bell peppers! 


3. I usually start by cutting them julienne style 


4. Then I line them up and chop them into small, but size pieces


5. Have I mentioned that this dish is actually super pretty? So, so colorful! =)


6. Don't forget to stir your onions occasionally while cutting your peppers! Once the onions are cooked, add your pureed tomatoes. If you like it more dry, only use 2 tomatoes, and use more if you like more gravy. I usually use three, but you'll find what you like!


7. Let the tomato puree cook for a minute or two and then you can add the coriander, cumin, red chili, and tumeric powder. Also add some salt.


8. Give this a good stir and now you're ready to add your cut up capsicum


9. I add a little water to keep it from sticking. As you can see I added a liiiiittle too much, but that's okay! Most of it evaporated anyway 

10. Cook this for roughly 5-10 minutes, or until the peppers start to get tender. You can add water as needed if it starts sticking, and stir often.

11. While this is cooking, cut up your paneer into bite size cubes. The amount you use is up to you, Raj really loves his paneer so I tend to put more, but you can adjust!


12. Once the bell peppers are tender, add in the paneer


13. Let this cook for a few minutes warm, or until the paneer is heated through and viola! Yummy, delicious, light capsicum paneer!


No comments:

Post a Comment